Thursday, February 2, 2012

And the award goes to...

It is award season, folks. That seems to be all I hear about on television these days. (Well, I lie: political debates, the Super Bowl and whatever is going on in My Little Ponies. But, back to the awards.) I started to wonder if nominated, what awards would I win?

The first one that immediately came to mind was Most Locations for Stashing Diapers. What a prestigious award. I'd like to thank the academy... With one child I thought having diapers in one unmistakable place was the best way to go. With two children, I've changed my mind. We have diapers in: 1. master bedroom 2. Sophie's bedroom 3. Tucker's bedroom 4. downstairs family room 5. my car 6. the jogging stroller (only takes one ill-fated trip to the park to come up with that one) and 7. my purse. My Coach purse. My prized Coach purse that Bryan gave me as an anniversary gift (the year for 'leather') that now doubles as a diaper bag. Oh, motherhood. So humbling.

The second award I'd be a shoo-in for would be Persevering the Picky Eater. I wrote earlier about a dinner time meltdown and having to cover food with multi-colored sprinkles to get them in Sophie's belly. But serve a meal created with love, a dash of patience, some creativity and kindness and you might find as I did that they'll try just about anything. I also try to remember that everything is cyclical. Something she loved yesterday might disgust her tomorrow. Try again. And again. I actually read one time that you have to offer something 20-25 times before a child might agree to eat it. We've come to a new understanding that she has to try at least one bite before she gets the food she knows and wants.

Our latest creation was a hit. Fruit and Nut Bites, adapted from this recipe. I didn't invent this gem of a snack, but I made it bigger and better for Sophie.

Mom, take the picture so that I can devour
my special snack!

Fruit and Nut Bites.
Sophie's Fruit and Nut Bites
1 Cups dried organic figs
1/2 Cup dried dates
1/2 Cup walnut pieces
1/2 Cup whole raw almonds
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
1/4 Cup water
1 Cup shredded coconut (we used sweetened)

Blend in food processor until everything comes together in an almost-smooth consistency. Form small balls - teaspoon or tablespoon size - and roll in coconut. Refrigerate and serve cold. They're a little gritty in consistency because of the figs (which is why I didn't hesitate to add the ground flax). And by gritty - think Fig Newton gritty, just the nature of the fruit.

The final award I think I have already won: Marrying Into the Best Family Possible. My in-laws and extended family have made me really happy to call our new town "home." They have been so supportive, helpful and generous. They have taken me in as their own and I couldn't be more grateful. Did you know that I am even getting one morning a week totally to myself to exercise? Brilliant. Sophie goes to school and my MIL watches Tucker. I know that my immediate family would love to be the ones sweeping up Sophie from preschool and giving Tucker his first bottle. But while we live 600 miles away, I rest assured they are happy knowing how well we are all cared for here in KY.

4 comments:

  1. Love the award portion of this post!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! Especially the one of her with her hand on his face and he looks like he's asleep!

    ReplyDelete