Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Granola

Alternatively, Grammalla (in Sophie-speak). Or, You Had Me At "I need that recipe"

Is this my foray back into the blogosphere? Thank you to anyone and everyone who asked for the granola recipe so that I would actually sit down and write in my children's blog/journal/baby book/family recipe holder... I never believed my friend Leigh who told me that I might not have as much time to write once baby number two came around. Or, it could be those eight thousand other things I'm trying to do at one time.

I digress, and here is your recipe, adapted from my first take at Granola bars here, which was adapted from this recipe, but oh-so-different-and-totally-way-better. Because when you've made 30 batches, you kind of nail it down.

Granola Bars

The base:
4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional, but amazing if you like salty/sweet)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup coconut oil (I like to barely warm it in the microwave so that it mixes better)
1/2 cup honey (my SIL says to use the local/expensive stuff!)
2 tablespoons ground flax*

The additions, per your taste
1 cup chocolate chips
6 dried apricots, chopped
12 dried cherries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds

I mix the dry ingredients separate from the wet and then combine them all together. Pour onto parchment lined baking sheet. It will look too dry, but I promise it is going to work. Pat it down, maybe 1/2in in height and then make a rectangle shape (less waste when you go to cut your bars out). I like to use a rubber spatula because the granola is less likely to stick to it as you form your rectangle.

Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove and let completely cool before cutting. I make rectangular bars that are smaller than your typical granola bar, because I can guarantee you I'm going to eat more than one a day, and if they're smaller than normal I don't feel as guilty :)

*Flax seeds are an awesome source of Omega 3's - among other things. We don't eat a ton of fish as we live in Kentucky, and, well, I like my Florida seafood. SO, Omega 3's are something we try to supplement through fish oil and flax seeds. However, when heated, flax loses it's Omega 3's. Dammit, right?! They are still an excellent source for fiber and protein, and, why not?

Also, original recipe had Vanilla Extract in it. New recipe does not ever since I read that "Natural Vanilla Flavoring" includes something extracted from a chemical derived from the anal glands of beavers. Yeah. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment